Don't be an idiot - we have a zero tolerance policy for posting the leaked personal photos…

Author Topic: Looking for a good program to sort images by resolution..  (Read 4088 times)

aviger

Looking for a good program to sort images by resolution..
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:26:11 am »
I have a big collection of images (18K ish images) but it's very hard to pick out the HQ ones.
I've tried doing it in windows with the resolution option on in the folder search but it is really annoying in a multi directory system.
So far adobe bridge is a disapointingly slow program aswell.

Is there any good program out there that can search for specific reso's and/or bigger/smaller then with a visual output so i can see the images?

Vizzini

• Administrator
Re: Looking for a good program to sort images by resolution..
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:54:17 am »
Is there any good program out there that can search for specific reso's and/or bigger/smaller then with a visual output so i can see the images?

We use http://www.imagemagick.org/ pretty heavily on the servers; It's free and quick when you use the '-ping' option for images. Took <2 min to run on 9k images for me

• Boot off a linux live cd that has imagemagick – ubuntu is popular these days and would likely have it

• mount your hard disk(s) with the images

• run a variation of the command find /abs/path/to/images -type f -print0 | xargs --null --max-args 16 --max-procs 4 --no-run-if-empty -- identify -quiet -ping 2>/dev/null | perl -e 'while( my $a = <> ){ if( $a =~ m/ (\d+)x(\d+) / && $1 * $2 > 2500000 ) { print $a; } }' >/tmp/large-images.txt

The command just looks scary; I can explain it to you in detail if you want… bottom line is it will find all files over 2.5 megapixels ( 2500000 ) and place their names, and geometry info, in the file /tmp/large-images.txt

You should save /tmp/large-images.txt before you reboot, lest you lose all that work

Someone here can probably tell you how to run linux inside of windows via a virtualpc container

Kjoen

• flagged account
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
I have a big collection of images (18K ish images) but it's very hard to pick out the HQ ones.
I've tried doing it in windows with the resolution option on in the folder search but it is really annoying in a multi directory system.
So far adobe bridge is a disapointingly slow program aswell.

Give Thumbsplus a try: http://www.cerious.com

Great tool for sorting and managing large iarge collections.  It also has a good collection of touch-up tools that are very simple to use.

Free for 30 days ... if you like it, buy it.

xenotek

• flagged account
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:42:15 am »
Bridge's speed is based pretty heavily on indexing as far as a search, and IMO didn't become responsive until CS4. (CS3 was okay but unstable). Bridge seems to also rely on caching quite a bit because when browsing directories of large photographs and textures for work, the more I use Bridge the better it responds. There are several options in bridge that can speed things up. Like "use thumbnails", by default it will render an image based on the image itself. So it's like having photoshop open the file each time. Of course if you've got a higher end AMD or Intel machine running a good GPU this won't matter as much.

Interestingly using windows 7's sort by size works quite well if the folder hasn't been indexed by Bridge. If you have multiple folders you might be able to use a *.jpg for your search and get everything in the subfolders.
Vista and 7 also provide lots of sort filters if you right click in the file pane go to "sort by" and then go to "more". There's also an option to group files by a different criteria along with the sort, so kinda like a cross search, kinda.

d00d

• flagged account
  • You mean coitus?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:30:23 pm »
Faststone image viewer has sort by dimension. It doesn't pool images from multiple directories though, as far as I know.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
Hunter S. Thompson

mainman

• Luba Shumeyko - most beautiful woman on Earth
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:25:16 pm »
ACDSee...it will do this and much more. By far the best image viewer,sorter on the market!

Mailman

• Staffer on Sabbatical
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:22:33 am »

We use http://www.imagemagick.org/ pretty heavily on the servers; It's free and quick when you use the '-ping' option for images. Took <2 min to run on 9k images for me

• Boot off a linux live cd that has imagemagick – ubuntu is popular these days and would likely have it

• mount your hard disk(s) with the images

• run a variation of the command find /abs/path/to/images -type f -print0 | xargs --null --max-args 16 --max-procs 4 --no-run-if-empty -- identify -quiet -ping 2>/dev/null | perl -e 'while( my $a = <> ){ if( $a =~ m/ (\d+)x(\d+) / && $1 * $2 > 2500000 ) { print $a; } }' >/tmp/large-images.txt

The command just looks scary; I can explain it to you in detail if you want… bottom line is it will find all files over 2.5 megapixels ( 2500000 ) and place their names, and geometry info, in the file /tmp/large-images.txt

You should save /tmp/large-images.txt before you reboot, lest you lose all that work

Someone here can probably tell you how to run linux inside of windows via a virtualpc container

If you're someone who doesn't want to dive into Linux, I've come up with a Windows-only variation.

1. Download & install the Windows version of Imagemagick at: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

2. Either start up the command line and run the following command in the Imagemagick folder, or create a batch file (a text file with the extension .bat), paste the following code into it, and run it:
Code: [Select]
for /r "c:\images\" %a in (*.jpg) do identify -format "%d\\%f,%[fx:((h*w)>=2500000.0)*(h*w)]" "%a"|findstr /v /c:"%a,0">>megapixels.csv
Change out "c:\images\" for the root of your image directory.  It will search all subfolders.  It will also create megapixels.csv, a comma-delimited file with the file names and resolutions of just those images that are greater than 2.5 megapixels.

It takes a while to run.  I guess Windows just isn't as efficient as Linux.  I only got about 275 images processed in 2 minutes.

Vizzini

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 10:01:31 am »
It takes a while to run.  I guess Windows just isn't as efficient as Linux.  I only got about 275 images processed in 2 minutes.

try passing '-ping' to identify

aviger

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:58 am »
finally have some time to test out all your tips, as i am taking a linux class in college atm im going to try the linux version of imagmagick.
Thanks again for all the input.

akdolven

• flagged account
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:43:55 pm »
still not working, not booting with the latest linux.

Vizzini

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:56:46 am »
they have several binary releases - maybe you can use one of them

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php

send all DMCA and Copyright notifications to: d m c a _ a t _ u s e m y c o m p u t e r . c o m